Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
David Candy

Default International Keyboard

There are lots of options in that Details dialog box. The minimun you could have done is make it available for use. You then have to choose to use it by choosing it as the default (top of the dialog) or pressing keys (see dialog to enable keys).

Switching Keyboards
Key Description
Left Alt + Shift Switches keyboard layout or language (default).
Control + Shift Switches keyboard layout (default) or language.
Left Alt + Shift + a number, tilde (~), or accent grave (`) Switches to a specific keyboard layout or language (default).
Control + Shift + a number, tilde (~), or accent grave (`) Switches to a specific keyboard layout (default) or language.

On the advanced tab turn on both Advanced Text Services and Extend Support To All Programs to enable Left Alt + Shift support.

Keys to switch layouts are set at Start - Control Panel - Regional Options - Languages - Details - Key Settings.

But Word has its own similar keystrokes built in (with the control key). See from Word's Help

Insert an international character by using a shortcut key
To insert Press
à, è, ì, ò, ù
À, È, Ì, Ò, Ù CTRL+` (ACCENT GRAVE), the letter
á, é, í, ó, ú, ý
Á, É, Í, Ó, Ú, Ý CTRL+' (APOSTROPHE), the letter
, ê, î, ô, û
Â, Ê, Î, Ô, Û CTRL+SHIFT+^ (CARET), the letter
ã, ñ, õ
Ã, Ñ, Õ CTRL+SHIFT+~ (TILDE), the letter
ä, ë, ï, ö, ü, ÿ
Ä, Ë, Ï, Ö, Ü, Y CTRL+SHIFT+: (COLON), the letter
å, Å CTRL+SHIFT+@, a or A
æ, Æ CTRL+SHIFT+&, a or A
o, O CTRL+SHIFT+&, o or O
ç, Ç CTRL+, (COMMA), c or C
ð, Ð CTRL+' (APOSTROPHE), d or D
ø, Ø CTRL+/, o or O
¿ ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+?
¡ ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+!
ß CTRL+SHIFT+&, s

Goodbye Web Diary
http://margokingston.typepad.com/har....html#comments
"mike" wrote in message ups.com...
I have just upgraded from Windows 98 and Word 2000 th W XP and Word
2003. In my previous environment I was able to set up my keyboard was
an international keyboard.
I am having trouble do the same thing in this new environment.
I have done the following
Start Control Panel Regional & Language Options Languages
Details Installed services Keyboard Layout/ME US International
OK Apply OK Apply OK.

Yet my keyboard does not seem to have been changed when I am working in
MS Word.
Thaanks for any and all help