Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Inserting frame in Word 2007

Yes, Word can see text in tables for the purposes of TOC, cross-references,
etc. (Word 2007 can also see the text in text boxes, for that matter, but
that ability is not backward-compatible.) Because frames are sort of wrapped
(though not in the drawing layer as text boxes are), they have to be
anchored to a text paragraph, and they can sometimes wander in ways that are
a pain to control. Tables (provided they don't become wrapped) will stay
where you put them because they are in the text layer, part of the text
flow. There are many excellent reasons to use frames, but when tables can be
used instead and serve the purpose just as well, they are preferred.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
On 3/14/2010 6:11 AM, Graham Mayor wrote:
Add the 'Insert Frame' command from the All Commands group to the QAT
(Quick
Access Toolbar). However to position two images alongside one another I
would suggest the user of a borderless two cell table with fixed column
width.

Using a table is an excellent idea. I wonder if Word sees the captions in
a table to create a index of illustrations. (This is for a book).

Thanks for the info about the Insert Frame. I had previously searched for
it and not found it, but now I did. I guess I looked in the wrong places.

BTW, I get a feeling you do not like using frames in a Word document. I
would appreciate knowing why using frames could be a problem.

Jeff