I have no idea how you'd find it in Help (in fact, I don't think it *is* in
Help. Klaus has an article about it at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NoWidthSpace.htm, but again I'm not
sure what search terms would turn this up.

"Oliver St Quintin" wrote in
message ...
The "zero width non-joiner" does exactly what I wanted. How could one ever
think to look this up in the help index?

Thanks everyone for your comments and good work.

Oliver

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

That's interesting. Since I can never remember the right number, I

inserted
a No-Width Optional Break using Insert | Symbol | Special Characters and
then used Alt+X to get the number, and it showed 200C, which is labeled

ZERO
WIDTH NON-JOINER. Although it displays as a pipe in the Symbol dialog,

it is
displayed as the nested rectangle in the document. Moreover, "(normal

text)"
(TNR in this instance) doesn't contain the glyph 200B.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Klaus Linke" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Not as such, but you can insert a No-Width Optional Break after the

slash
using Insert | Symbol | Special Characters or 200C, Alt+X.

Close: 200B

Regards,
Klaus