Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Linguist17 Linguist17 is offline

Default Word is showing the paper as an inch too wide

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Does the document contain comments or tracked changes? If so, Word is
allowing margin space for the "balloons."

No, no comments or tracked changes. It's not that the text is shrunk and
restricted to the upper left part of the page, as it is when you're tracking
changes.

In print layout view, the program is actually showing the page as extending
1 to 1.5 inches *to the right of the blue bar representing the right margin*.
The pages are actually showing up in the wrong shape, as if the paper were
9.5 x 11 or 10 x 11 inches.

As I said, it wouldn't matter too much if I were just printing the document,
but I need to make it into a .pdf, and the .pdf is showing the same weird,
squarish pages.

When I first load the document, the page dimensions are correct (this is a
rather large document with several subdocuments--my dissertation, in fact).
It's when I update the fields in my table of contents that the program bumps
the right edge of all the pages out another 1.5 in. or so.

Thanks for your help!