Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default recover autosave files

Hi VTJ,

Was this a file you opened directly from an email attachment rather than first saving it to the hard drive?

Word uses .ASD as the file extension for autorecovery files (which is what it uses as a safety measure at the intervals specified in
Office Button=Word Options=Save
There isn't a built in 'autosave' choice, just the 'AutoRecover' one. Once you close the document/Word normally the .ASD files are
deleted as part of the Word closing process. Word also uses a variety of temp files but those two are usually cleared in a normal
closing.

============
"vtj" wrote in message ...
The autosave feature of Word 2007 saved a file with .dat extension but no
other files. I assume that this is the document as I progressed through it
and the autosave would save the file as a work in progress. I would like to
recover it but can not find a program that will open the file in any sort of
usable manner. I can get some graphical figures in Notepad but that is
meaningless. Can anybody point me in the direction I should be going? One
of the thoughts is that autosave does work like I think it does. Thanks.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP