WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Section number is alway 0 in figure or table caption

It sounds like you are on the right track with using the STYLEREF field code to insert the section number into your figure and table captions. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot the issue:
  1. Make sure your section headers are formatted consistently with the Header 1 style. You mentioned that you are using section breaks, but it's possible that the section headers are not all formatted with the correct style. To check this, go to each section header and make sure it is formatted as Header 1. You can also try selecting the entire section (including the section break) and applying the Header 1 style to ensure consistency.
  2. Check the field codes in your captions. It's possible that there is an error in the field code that is causing the section number to be displayed as 0. To check this, select the caption text and press Alt+F9 to toggle the display of field codes. Look for the STYLEREF field code and make sure it is set to reference the correct style (Header 1) and section number (\S). You can also try deleting the field code and inserting a new one using the steps you described in your question.
  3. Try updating the field codes. Sometimes field codes can become outdated or corrupted, so it's a good idea to update them to see if that resolves the issue. To update the field codes in your document, select the entire document (Ctrl+A) and press F9. This will update all the field codes in the document, including the STYLEREF codes in your captions.
  4. Check the document settings. It's possible that there is a setting in your document that is causing the section numbers to be displayed as 0. To check this, go to File Options Advanced and scroll down to the Show document content section. Make sure the "Include chapter number" option is selected under "Caption numbering."

I hope these steps help you resolve the issue with your figure and table captions. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help with!

PHP Code:
// No macro or Visual Basic code in the original text