Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Heidi Heidi is offline

Default insert footers in normal template

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

An AutoNew macro could do it. You'd need to have that macro included in
every template the users use.

Record a new macro -- name it AutoNew -- and in a new document, go through
the steps of navigating to the footer area, inserting a {filename } field
(I'm assuming you'd want the name of the file they're creating), then
closing the footer area and returning to the beginning of the document to
begin writing/composing.

There are additional steps you could take to make sure that the field is
updated after the file is given a permanent name, so that it displays when
opened (e.g., an AutoOpen macro that navigates to the footer, updates the
field, then returns to the beginning for additional editing/writing/etc.).

If all of the templates users use are stored on a network server, this could
be fairly straightforward to accomplish (assuming no existing AutoOpen or
AutoNew macros). Simply use the Organizer (Tools - Templates and Add-ins -
Organizer) to copy the macro to the target templates.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Heidi" wrote in message

"Heidi" wrote:

Over a network I want all users to insert a filename in the footer of any
new
doc they open. I understand you cannot insert autotext into normal.dot
but
there must be a way of doing this.

Thanks I had thought of that but that requires a specific action by users,
is there no way to set it up automatically with any 'new document' ie when
the user opens word or click on new doc

Thanks so much for your solution, I will give it a go now. I do appreciate your respectful and courteous reply.