Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Suzanne S. Barnhill[_3_] Suzanne S. Barnhill[_3_] is offline

Default Header numbering that spans multiple lines

Another approach is to use two separate styles; see
http://WordFAQs.mvps.org/TOCTips.htm#UnnumberedHeadings.

"Lisa Wilke-Thissen" wrote in message

Hi,

[Microsoft Word 2011 for Mac]

I'm currently writing my PhD thesis, and would
like to format my headers as follows:

1.
CHAPTER NAME
*1.1 - Header 1*
Body

So... have the chapter number followed by a line break,
and then the chapter name, and then the headers follow
the standard multilevel number formatting. How easy is
this to do?

create your list style and paragraph styles (as described he
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...20072010.html).
However, for level 1 you have to choose in the dialog box "Modify
Multilevel List" in the field "Follow number with" the entry "Nothing"
(instead of "Tab character").
And, when applying "Heading 1" to your paragraph, you have to insert
the manual break manually (Shift + Enter).

I'd also ideally want the chapter number and name
to then appear on one line for the ToC.

Add the \x switch to your TOC field, as described he
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...005186201.aspx

Hope, it works for Word for MAC...

--
Cheers