Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Richard Richard is offline

Default TOC Field Code

Thank you for your response. However, I am referring to the manual TOC
markings used to mark the headings in a document not the TOC itself. In a
lot of our older documents the paragraph headings were manually marked with a
TOC field e.g. {TC "INTRODUCTION" \F C \1 "1"}. Can these be hidden? I'm
afraid it will mess with the pagination of the document.

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

"Richard" wrote:

In Word 2003 is there a way to hide the TOC fields from appearing on the
screen? The F9 commands don't seem to work on it.

By this I assume you mean that you are seeing the TOC field codes instead of
the TOC field value (The TOC itself).
If that is the case, there are two toggle keys:

ALT-F9 toggles the display of field codes in the whole document; and
SHIFT-F9 toggles the display of field codes in the currently selected fields.