Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF

Default A question re corruption

You can also do it from the File, Open or File, SaVeAs dialog from Word.
Right-click on the file and use Sent To, Drive X.

Terry

wrote in message ...
:I take it that you all see no problem in copying and pasting within
: Windows Explorer then (rather than via a Macro in Word). Or, another
: thought, can one access Windows Explorer from Word, do it there, and
: come back again - all in a Macro?
:
:
: TF wrote:
:
: The reasons were mainly that floppies are (relatively) VERY slow to read
or
: write and not the most reliable media. When Word saves (especially in
older
: versions), it needs to build up the saved file and it does this by
creating
: a temporary file in the target folder gradually adding or overwriting
bits
: until it has a complete file. This is then rewritten and saved as the
: document file. But the temp file is locked and active until the document
is
: fully closed and Word/Windows releases the temp file.
:
: Problems become serious if the file is fairly large or the floppy is
: partially filled because the document file and the temp files may have
: insufficient room to co-exist on the floppy. To make matters worse,
: simultaneous reading and writing to the floppy is happening at the very
slow
: rate of the floppy drive.
:
: So all in all, it was hardly surprising that floppies were a disaster
with
: Word! The best and safest solution for you is to write your macro to
save
: the file to the main HDD and then COPY or MOVE it to the mem stick.
:
: Although Word is not so demanding these days, problems still do occur. I
: have a colleague who has now twice corrupted large documents using a
memory
: stick to move between home and work to continue working on a document.
:
: You now know the risks!
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: wrote in message
: : Quite a lot has been written about avoiding corruption of documents,
and
: : one piece of advice has been "do not save to A: from Word (though from
: : Explorer is okay). I habitually save to a memory stick/flash drive in
: : drive E and I would like to automate this with a VBA macro. Does
anyone
: : have any information on why saving to A: from Word causes corruption,
: : and more importantly whether or not saving to E: poses the same
danger?
: : Alternatively (and OT) is it possible to write a VBA (or other) Macro
: : invoke this procedure from a hot key while in Windows Explorer (where
: : currently do this manually)?
: :
: : TIA