Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
POP

Default A question re corruption

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
If the document is closed, you can right-click on the
filename in Word's File Open dialog and use Send To to send
(copy) it to any drive (or any other location). that's on
your Send To menu.

That's an extremely useful tip that many people overlook! I
forget it myself from time to time. This is one of those
timesG.

Pop

wrote in message
Sorry Guys, now I'm really confused! Surely it has been
said here that saving to A: or even E: direct from Word
is likely to cause corruption. Therefore 'save as' is not
right (which is what I used to do). But copying from C:
to E: under Windows Explorer is OK away from Word. Then
my question was: can we use a macro in Word to get
temporarily out of it to Windows Explorer and then do the
copy and then return, like System used to get you out of
BASIC (shows age g) and let you do things in DOS and
then return.

Alternatively, can I make some form of macro that will
operate from a hot key when in Windows Explorer? BTW, I
have got VB5. This would be OK as I spend a lot of time
in Explorer...

TF wrote:

You can also do it from the File, Open or File, SaVeAs
dialog from Word. Right-click on the file and use Sent
To, Drive X.

Terry

wrote in message

I take it that you all see no problem in copying and
pasting within Windows Explorer then (rather than via
a Macro in Word). Or, another thought, can one
access Windows Explorer from Word, do it there, and
come back again - all in a Macro?

TF wrote:

The reasons were mainly that floppies are
(relatively) VERY slow to read or write and not the
most reliable media. When Word saves (especially in
older versions), it needs to build up the saved
file and it does this by creating a temporary file
in the target folder gradually adding or
overwriting bits until it has a complete file. This
is then rewritten and saved as the document file.
But the temp file is locked and active until the
document is fully closed and Word/Windows releases
the temp file.

Problems become serious if the file is fairly large
or the floppy is partially filled because the
document file and the temp files may have
insufficient room to co-exist on the floppy. To
make matters worse, simultaneous reading and
writing to the floppy is happening at the very slow
rate of the floppy drive.

So all in all, it was hardly surprising that
floppies were a disaster with Word! The best and
safest solution for you is to write your macro to
save the file to the main HDD and then COPY or MOVE
it to the mem stick.

Although Word is not so demanding these days,
problems still do occur. I have a colleague who has
now twice corrupted large documents using a memory
stick to move between home and work to continue
working on a document.

You now know the risks!

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

wrote in message
Quite a lot has been written about avoiding
corruption of documents, and one piece of advice
has been "do not save to A: from Word (though
from Explorer is okay). I habitually save to a
memory stick/flash drive in drive E and I would
like to automate this with a VBA macro. Does
anyone have any information on why saving to A:
from Word causes corruption, and more importantly
whether or not saving to E: poses the same
danger? Alternatively (and OT) is it possible to
write a VBA (or other) Macro to invoke this
procedure from a hot key while in Windows
Explorer (where I currently do this manually)?

TIA