Pat Garard

G'Day Peyton,

In Microsoft Word, you can type accented characters (without
any other resources) using a simple set of shortcut keys:

à, è, ì, ò, ù, À, È, Ì, Ò, Ù press CTRL+` followed by the letter
(ACCENT GRAVE)

á, é, í, ó, ú, Á, É, Í, Ó, Ú press CTRL+' followed by the letter
(APOSTROPHE)

, ê, î, ô, û, Â, Ê, Î, Ô, Û press CTRL+SHIFT+^ followed by the letter
(CARET)

ã, ñ, õ, Ã, Ñ, Õ press CTRL+SHIFT+~ followed by the letter
(TILDE)

ä, ë, ï, ö, ü, Ä, Ë, Ï, Ö, Ü press CTRL+SHIFT+: followed by the letter
(COLON)

ç, Ç press CTRL+, followed by c or C
(COMMA)

å, Å press CTRL+SHIFT+@ followed by a or A

ß press CTRL+SHIFT+& followed by s

¿ press ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+?

¡ press ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+!

As you can see, the symbol set is more than adequate even
for this NEWSREADER.

See also:
http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/humnet/it.../mswordpc.html
http://www.chumashlanguage.com/symbols/sym-00-tx.html
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Peyton Todd" wrote in message
Hello. I expect this will be a tough question to answer.

A little detail first, then I'll get to my question...

I am writing a book in linguistics, and I don't have a publisher yet, but
most tings written in the field tend to be in a font which looks like
Times
New Roman. And I believe lots of publishers nowadays just photocopy what
you
send. So I'm writing the book in Times New Roman.

But I need to include a lot of examples of speech using the International
Phonetic Alphabet. The fonts which come with Word don't have anywhere near
the full set of symbols necessary, but I have found and installed a font
which has everything I need. It's a complicated system involving a program
called KeyMan by Tavelsoft Corp, and virtual 'keyboards', including one
with
IPA symbols in Unicode. (Colleagues have reported getting drafts rejected
by
publishers who didn't have the same plug-in they were using when they
wrote
their book or article.)

Well, the symbols look great, and they're easy to use (different
combinations of keystrokes lead to the desired characters, like typing
Ctrl +
~ and then 'n' to get an n with a tilde over it in Spanish, but a lot
moreso.

But here's my problem. When I stuff some symbols into a line, say as
follows:

asdf asdf asdf asdf xxxx adf asdf asdf afdf

where xxxx is the symbols, the line spacing between that line and the one
before it widens. So all the other lines in the paragraph look fine, both
the
lines before the one I put the symbols in, and the ones below that line,
but
the paragraph looks funny. I can nearly fix this by reducing the fontsize
of
the symbols by a couple of points (e.g. the Times New Roman in 11 pt. and
the
symbols in 9 pt.), but now the symbols look small and silly.

By the way, the symbols are an Arial font. But that's apparently not the
problem. I find it's possible to mix Arial and Times New Roman fonts on a
line without this problem occurring as long as they're all regular
characters.

Any ideas?

everything ihaven't checked with the publisher yet, a linguist, and I need
to write articles
--
Peyton Todd