Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default numbering picture captions

When you add a caption to an object whose Text Wrapping is set to something
other than "In line with text," Word places the caption in a text box. And
for captions in text boxes, the caption numbering will be determined by the
relative positions of the text box *anchors* rather than the position of the
actual text boxes on the page. Display object anchors (in Word Options) and
then drag the anchors as necessary; for example, you can anchor the first
caption text box to the first paragraph on the page, the second text box to
the second paragraph, and so on.

For more on anchors, see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/drwgrphcs/anchors.htm.

~~
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"NRM" wrote in message
When I insert four pictures on a page, I am having no trouble getting them
be called Photo ( number inserted) and then the caption -- however the
numbering starts in the upper right hand corner and proceeds clockwise
around
the page. It should begin upper left, upper right, lower left, lower
right.
Is there any way I can control this? (I am using two column, horizontal
layout.)

Thanks.