Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Newmarch David Newmarch is offline

Default Strange behaviour: show/hide formatting symbols reveals old ch

Thanks Suzanne, you hit the nail on the head!

I should have been able to spot this using Reveal Formatting, but that was
one thing that somehow just didn't occur to me. Find and Replace then quickly
cleaned it all up. Maybe I will discover in due course why the author tried
to do things that way.

And thanks, too, Peter - though that wasn't quite the problem.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It would appear that the text has been formatted as Hidden. A previous user
has done this instead of using Track Changes. You should be able to delete
the Hidden text when it is displayed, and it won't come back.

http://word.mvps.org

"David Newmarch" wrote in message
In Word 2007, I'm getting some strange behaviour in a document that was
authored by someone else. Track Changes is switched off, all changes have
been accepted, and everything looks as it should in whichever view I
happen
to choose (Print Layout, Draft, whatever). But when I click to show
formatting symbols (in whatever view) a whole lot of old changes -
deletions
AND insertions, ostensibly all accepted, and from before the document got
me - appear in the document, making it quite tricky to work with. These
old
changes are impervious to anything I try to do with them

Editing the document, I can get by - with some inconvenience - provided I
keep formatting symbols hidden, and the document seems to print OK, but it
would be good to clean out these junk changes before I return the edited
document to the author.

The only way I have managed to get rid of the junk changes is to copy and
paste to a new document as unformatted text, but it isn't feasible to do
this
for 150 pages and lose all the formatting.

Has anyone else come across this sort of thing? Any suggestions for
cleaning
things up?

.