Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Marsh Marsh is offline

Default Enter a footnote

Thanks Bear. Then if I were to quote you,
"It depends on whether or not you're following a given style guide, and if
so, which style guide you're following."
The sentence above with the quotes is actually terminated with quote mark
rather than period. I do not question you correctness, just 30 years ago, in
the Los Angeles, California schools, the taught it the other way.
I guess I owe my collegue a beer.

"Bear" wrote:

Marsh:

It depends on whether or not you're following a given style guide, and if
so, which style guide you're following.

In general, in US English publications, periods and commas go inside the
ending quotation mark. In UK English publications, all punctuation goes
outside the ending quotation mark.

There are many exceptions to these general rules, but in the case you
presented, for a US publication, I'd put the period inside the last quotation
mark.

Bear

--
Windows XP, Word 2000