Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Remove header & footer from Envelope

You can delete the header content but once you have created a header the
paragraph mark remains taking up space. This is one of the disadvantages of
having a header in the normal template. It would be better to insert the
header using a macro and leave the header empty (for which purpose you will
have to rename the normal template). Or simply do as Doug suggested and
create a separate template with a header to use for your documents and leave
the normal template alone.

An alternative is to use a template to create the merge envelope document.
You could start from the envelope merge template that you can download from
my web site or create your own. Treat the document as a letter merge and add
the fields to the Envelope Address frame.

Peter K wrote:
Thxs for your reply.

For 99.99% of all my work I do need the header. It puts path & file
name in the top left in small font & today's date in the top right.
No problem with envellopes, Word is smart enough to realize that
envelopeds don't get headers & footers.

It's only when I use that Step by Step Mail Wizard, that even though I
specify 'Envelopes' inists on adding the header.

After I wrote my original question, I edited normal.dotm & deleted the
header & footer from it. (To be put right back in, the moment I was
done with this once a year thing.)Now The file name & date no longer
appear, but, an about 5/8 in. top margin is still there, putting the
return address way too low.

I could print the envelopes individually, bypassing the wizard, & all
would be fine. But, that defeats the purpose.

How can I stop the wizard from imposing that top margin or header?

Again, any help would be appreciated.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

You should not put a header and/or footer in the normal.dot template.
Rather, create another template containing those features and use
that template for the documents that you create for which you want
the features.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Peter K" wrote in message
In Word 2007, my normal.dot includes a header. When writing
letters & ending
an Envelope to the document, everything works fine. The header &
footer appear on all text pages, but not on the envelope.

Trying to print envelopes for Xmas cards: Mailing Start Mail
Merge Step
by Step Mail Merge Wizard, I specify under document Type
'Envelopes'. Going
ahead, all envelopes get a header & a footer, which makes no sense,
apparently based on my normal.dotx.

How can I delete these headers & footers?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Peter K