Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jezebel

Default When to split a long document into separate files?

The short answer is, break it up when it becomes more convenient to work
with: if you find that it's becoming tedious to scroll or slow to load, then
break it up. But you probably won't need to. 300 pages is no big deal.

Sections and textboxes are not common causes of corruption. Perhaps you've
read about the problems with masterdocuments: these are notoriously prone to
corruption, to which sections are relevant. But in ordinary documents
sections are not an issue.

"MartinTosas" wrote in message
Hi there,

I have some doubts about whether to split a long document that I'm writing
at the moment into separate files.

From what size, and maybe, for what type of content, is it worth to
separate a word document into separate files? for example: one file for
each chapter.

The type of document I'm writing will be about 300 pages; with lots of
figures, which I insert inline and linked to .tiff files; and quite many
equations, which, I think, they are embedded objects from equation editor;
I don't use textboxes, and I don't use sections, because I've read they
could lead to corruptions???

What do you recommend for this type/size of document?

Cheers
Martin.