Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default Document switch to become Read-Only when it's not suppose to

The Protect Document command shouldn't cause what you are describing. If you
use the Read Only option it doesn't force a Save As. Instead, it locks the
document and you're unable to make modifications except for those areas that
have been marked as exceptions.

If you are saving documents to your local drive and not a network or
external drive then that indicates a third-party conflict. The most common
cause of what you describe is antivirus software. I'm not familiar with
Norton 360 but even though you may have not made any changes Symantec does
push updates to Norton. What would really help with this would be to have
the exact message you have encountered. For example does it just tell you
it's read only or are you encountering a message that says something about a
temp file?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Lenny" wrote in message
I'm using Norton 360 but this just happened recently like about 2 weeks
ago
and I haven't changed the settings of the antivirus program. When I press
Ctrl+S it will pop up the Save As window. That's when I see the original
document title say: Title (Read-Only)

Actually I remember that I wanted to understand what the Protect Document
button was all about. I clicked on it during one of my classes and then
that's when this whole Read-Only issue occurred. I've tried unsuccessfully
by
clicking it to Track Changes, and then unchecking the box, but then it's
still the same with all the other documents. And also, there is no
password
set up for that option either.

Is it not possible for Microsoft Word to have an option where they reset
or
make the Protect Document button default to it's original setup again? Or
is
there a way to undo whatever I might have caused by a simple click of an
icon
or option? Otherwise, I'm kind of at a loss right now. It's not a big
deal,
but it is when an error message pops up in a few cases when I periodically
save my document during class sessions and then what would have been a
Save
As document would try to recover itself from this Read-Only error (sorry I
don't have the exact wording for this error message)