Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default How can I link a caption to a photo so they can be moved as on

Make a text box. Put two returns in it. Show formatting characters (click
the show/hide button) so you can see the returns. Insert the photo, in line
with text, on the first paragraph mark. Insert/type the caption on the
second.

I often label the paragraph marks like so: "Insert figure here" and "Insert
caption here" so my writers will know where to put the information even w/o
the paragraph marks showing.

If you need to produce a figure TOC and you are using W2003 and before, the
TOC feature cannot read text in text boxes. So use a frame or table (my
preference) instead.

HTH,

PamC

beancounter wrote:
OK. I tried putting it into a text box, a drawing canvas and a table, but I
can still move the photo without the caption coming along. If I group it,
then I can't edit the caption or change the photo. What I want to do is to
create a place holder to go into my template so other users can drop in a
photo and caption and have it already formatted for them. They screw up
things when they do the reports, and it takes me hours to fix what they've
messed up.
Thanks for your help.

Put your photo and caption into a text box, frame, or wrapped table.

PamC

I need to be able to create a photo template that lets me change the photo
and the caption, but group them so they can be moved as a single object.