I don't believe Detect and Repair would help in this case; the cause and
resolution are explained in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm

"sf" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 13:59:17 -0500, "Dan Schaffer"
wrote:

Hi,

I use MS Word 2002, running in Win XP Pro, SP1.

Recently, I wanted to underline the first sentence in a document, and

only
that sentence. I highlighted and pressed the "U" button on the

formatting
toolbar. The sentence was underlined, but so was everything else in the
document. I clicked the "U" button again, and all the underlining
disappeared, including the underlining I wanted.

I had the same experience when I decided to center the title of the
document. I highlighted it, pressed the buttion for "center", and the

whole
document became centered.

Is this something that's meant to happen in Word 2002? Apparantly not,
because the Help files say that only the highlighted words should

change
when one presses a formatting button. It's certainly different from the

way
previous version of Word have worked. How can I underline or center

just one
line?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Did you try Detect and Repair?