Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default How to send mailmerge letters as attachment with private sensitivi

To understand what is going on, imagine that there is an e-mail
subsystem called MAPI on your computer that processes incoming and
outgoing messages. Any program can interact directly with MAPI to see
and organise emails. Outlook is just a program that is specifically
designed to to that. Some of the settings you make in Outlook may have
an effect on how the whole MAPI system behaves. Other settings only
affect the way Outlook builds or displays messages.

Actually, things are more complicated than that, but the fact is that
many of the settings you make in Outlook will not affect the emails you
send from Word MailMerge at all. (FWIW I do not know and could not telll
you exactly which Outlook settings affect mailmerges, but experience
suggests that it is not many of them)

However, since
a. Word sends emails to MAPI, which puts them in an Outbox
b. Outlook lets you control when emails are actually sent from the Outbox

What you can do is
c. before you start your merge, ensure your Outbox is empty
d. use Outlook options to prevent emails from being sent
e. do the merge
f. process the emails in the Outbox, either manually or
programmatically, e.g. using Outlook VBA. Typically you will have to
re-send them after changing them
g. use Outlook to switch on mail sending again.

At the moment I cannot check if (f) is simply a question of opening all
the MailItem items in the Outbox and doing something like setting
..Private to true, becauseI do not have Outlook to hand, but it's
probably the first thing I would look for. The Outlook people are more
likely to know the answer to that.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Ten Managbanag wrote:
Hi All,

I trully hope you can help me. I have a problem of sending a mailmerge
letter as a private email.

I had set Outlook 2003 to send all emails from my account as "Private". When
I send a regular email it works. However, when using Word and sending a
mailmerge document it doesn't.

For some reason, eventhough Outlook had already been preset to send all
emails as Private, Mord overwrites the setting and reverts it back to Normal.

This happens whenever I was trying to send the document as an attachment. I
tried to send the same document as an HTML formal and it was able to retain
the preset sensitivity on Outlook and the messages were delivered as private.

Though that can be used as a work-around to the issue. I want to know if its
possible to send a mailmerged document as attachment and have it sent out as
a private email. If this is possible, how do I go about doing this?