Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Shane[_2_] Shane[_2_] is offline

Default Creating "Fill-In" type fields in Word 2003

Suzanne,
Thanks for the info, actually, a LOT more than I had realized was there. The
more I know about macros, the happier I am with Word. Coolness. I learned
much.

My difficulty is that in Acrobat I can put in a field that is placed without
regard to text.
I can use the Forms toolbar to click/drag a text box anywhere and then when
someone opens it, they can enter information then hit Tab to go to the next
one.
The only real difference is that they use a separate cursor to create the
fields than they do to enter data. I guess that's the big difference, eh?
Yeah, I know, Acrobat not Word.. but still.. a guy can dream, right? :-)

Hey, if I ever figure out a way, I'll post it!

Shane

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
It might be a good idea for you to read the series of Forms tutorials by
Dian Chapman that are linked from
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm and especially
the forms tutorials by Dian Chapman that this article links to. I think
you'll see that forms in Word work similarly to those in Acrobat.

so
all may benefit.

"Shane" Shane•Varnadore@DoYouLikeGreenEggsAndSpamBoweBell Howell.com
wrote
in message ...
Greetings,
Using Word 2003 sp2 in Windows XP sp2.

I've been asked to use a PDF file with heavy tables/lines and limited
text
to create a 'form our users can fill out and save electronically'
I use Acrobat and so can create "data fields" in that program, but the
end-users don't have Acrobat and so we've opted to use Word. No biggie,
should be workable.

Converting to Word has been... unpleasant. So I hit on the idea of
saving
the PDF as a JPG and using it as a background. That way I figured I could
put in some 'data entry' fields in the right places and people can fill

out
the form. The difficulty is that text boxes are not real familiar to our
end-users who would likely move them and/or delete them while trying to
enter text.
.
I tried a "Text Form Field" but that's based on the formatting of the
document text (It seems I have to put it on a line, and hitting 'Tab'

simply
moves the cursor one tab-space), so I won't end up with something they
can
open, fill in a field, hit 'Tab' to get to the next field, and go from
there.

Ultimately, I suppose I could create an 'invisible' table with
appropriate
cells locked, but that's a rather heavy, clunky way to work.

Is there a way to insert something similar to the Text Form Field that
doesn't rely on the actual paragraph formatting? I need something I can
place anywhere, regardless of text formatting (There won't BE any text on
this document, just the background and the fields). Ideally, I'd want to

be
able to have them open the document and find the cursor in the first

field,
then when they fill it out and hit Tab or Enter, it would go to the
second
field and on from there.

I think I was able to do this in WordPerfect, but I've not used it in

years.

Any ideas?? I figure there's some rather obvious thing I'm just missing!

Thanks,

Shane