The most economical way to get Word is as part of Works Suite (not just
Works). With the discounts and free shipping available online, added to the
$20 mail-in rebate being offered through January 1, 2006, you can get Works
Suite for well under $100. In addition to Word 2002, Works Suite 2005
includes Works 8, Encarta 2005, Money 2005, PictureIt! Premium 10, and
Streets & Trips 2005. See
http://www.microsoft.com/products/wo...s.aspx?pid=001

"Lee368" wrote in message
Hello Loretta ..

This is Leora..ha! must be only people with the names starting with L.
I also bought a new computer and was give Corel for my word program not
realizing at the time it was useless.
pretty program but no one can open.
I complained to the store and they gave me the Microsoft works software

and
it's word program still cannot be opened by anyone when I send a

document.
I also had Word 97 on my old computer and never had any problems.
I am trying to send out resumes online to potential new employers and they
respond saying cannot open the document. grrrrrrrrr I am not a happy

camper.
Like you I do not have the money nor do I wish to spend all that money

for
software when I just bought a brand new computer! I also do not need
powerpoint etc. Although I have all that on the Corel program which no

one
can open even if I did use it. Ha! I can only use it if I want to print
things off.
I have posted a query ..not sure if I put it on the right discussion

group.
I put it under word..as I am not sure what all the others mean.

If I hear anything I will let you know and please if you get a chance will
you let me know.
There must be a way.
Thanks,

ô¿~
Lee
"Loretta" wrote:

Why do people who just need to write letters with Word have to buy the

entire
Office package? People who are not working in an office do not need the
other programs that come with Office and it isn't right they are forced

purchase an entire package that's very expensive when all they need is

Word.
With Windows XP I am finding out it won't allow me to download my Office

'97
and I am going to be forced to purchase the 2003 edition and this isn't
right. When you don't have any use for all the other programs and

already
purchased a prior version of it I don't understand why Microsoft won't

allow
you to download the version you already invested into. XP will not

allow me
to fully install my Office '97 and I think people should have the right

make a choice if they want to upgrade to a newer version when they don't
require it for just letter writing or saving some articles and other

items
from the Internet. If I had known this was going to happen to me I

doubt
very much if I would have upgraded to a newer computer and would have

stuck
with the one I had. All I was looking for was a little more memory

space in
another computer and didn't know it was going to lead to all these

unwanted
expenses because of a block that won't allow me to download Office '97.
While you are at home just don't require to have Excel, Access and

Powerpoint
when all you are interested in doing is writing letters occassionally.

feel as if someone is putting my back up against a wall and forcing me

purchase something I don't need. It's not as if I am running an office

from
home that I need all that extra stuff and it would be very considerate

if we
are forced into purchasing a newer version of something it could be sold
seperately and not as a package in order to avoid the high expense of

buying
the entire Office program.

Loretta