Jeffrey P.

Default Office 2003 disables double-click in file lists?

Hi all,

Okay, I've observed some odd behavior that I can reproduce on all my
computers.

Microsoft Explorer Mouse
Microsoft Intellipoint (latest version)
Microsoft Windows XP
Scroll-wheel button is set to double-click

From any file list either in the explorer or from an Open command inside
any program I can immediately open any file with the double-click command
assigned to the scroll-wheel button. This is true with no other file
selected (highlighted) or even with another file selected.

However, in any program in the Office 2003 suite, this double-click
functionality is disabled. Using the double-click from the scroll-wheel
simply selects the file and does not open it. If the file is selected
(highlighted) prior to using the double-click button, then it functions,
but if nothing is selected or something other than the target is
selected, then the double-click button simply highlights the target.

It still works fine in the OS and every other program after installing
Office 2003, so the behavior is limited to Office. I have searched
everywhere for information on this and can't even get a hit that looks
remotely related to the problem.

Any help or suggestions would be infinitely appreciated, because this
behavior is PROFOUNDLY annoying and completely ruins Office for me.

Thank you!