Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rutabaga Rutabaga is offline

Default Navigation Links on Web Page w/o Using Frames

Hi Daiya Mitchell,

Thank your for your response. It offers promise.

I'm limited to Word because users must be able to use and modify the
template I create for an otherwise simple instruction document. Neither
they, nor I, have any kind of Web Page software installed at our
workstations, and the documents themselves are meant to be used in both
browser- and non-browser-based environments.

I appreciate your detailed response. Very cool.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

So, you want web page features, but refuse to use web page creation
software to get them? I don't think this is going to work out well. If
that is what you want, Word is not the answer.

In a Word document, you could anchor a vertical list in the header to
get it to repeat on every page. However, for the links to be active,
people will either have to click into header view or use print preview
(I think, I've not tested links in a header). Reading these webpages
will give you the information to teach yourself how to set up such an
effect, which *might* give what you describe.

More Complex Letterhead section of:
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/wordfaqs/AnchorToHeader.htm
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/wordfaqs/HeaderFooter.htm

However, that would be the effect *in Word*--and whether it works for
what you want depends on how people are reading your page, which you
don't really specify. You say you are limited to Word for practical
reasons--well, this is not a practical request to make of Word. Even if
what I described works in Word, Save As Webpage in Word will not convert
the effect. If people are going to read it in HTML, then I strongly
suggest you use webpage creation software--spend some money, learn a new
skill, do the job right. Alternatively, create a regular Word doc with a
TOC, export the Word doc to PDF, and Acrobat should re-create the TOC as
navigation links in a side pane.

By the way--it's impossible to use HTML frames in Word. Word frames are
completely different.

Rutabaga wrote:
Hi,

I'm using Word to create a browser-based template for work instructions (I'm
restricted to Word for various practical reasons). I'd like to create
navigation links on the left side of the page corresponding to sections of
the document, but I don't want to use frames. I'd like the links to be
static, while the body of the document is scrollable. Can this be done?