Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Linda Linda is offline

Default Table Normal Style

I'm running Office 2003. I have created a template for theses and
dissertations at San Diego State University, which is based on the Normal
style that has been modified for 1.5 line spacing. However, for tables, I
would like to retain single spacing that is the default in Word.

Problem 1: I am not allowed to modify the Table Normal style. I did go to
Table Autoformat and changed the paragraph spacing for the Table Grid style
to single spacing, but when I selected an "example table" in the template
document (currently at 1.5 spacing) and applied the Table Grid style (I
customized the style list so that it would appear), nothing changed. I CAN
however insert a NEW table and it appears single spaced (that's good!).

Problem 2: Students often begin their theses in Word before using the
template and are taught to use the Master Doc/Insert subdocs feature. Even
doing this correctly, single-spaced tables in the original are changed to 1.5
spacing, apparently picking up the spacing from the Normal style, which I
assume is what "Table Normal" is based on. Students may have used any of the
autoformatted table styles available in Word and I would like them all to
remain intact. How can I modify our template to accommodate this?

Thanks.
--
Linda