Default Text in header space

It sounds very likely that your problem is that described at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm. If you are working in
Print Layout view and do not see a broken-line border marked "Header,"
accompanied by the Header and Footer toolbar, then you are not really in the
header pane.

"Bad Wind" wrote in message
When I open a new document, the text cursor is located in the header

space,
and when I start writing the text takes up this location.

I have to View Header and then close it to force the text down to the
correct location on the page.

I have deleted the Normal.dot file and this made no difference.