Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire

Default Labels--Is it Me?

Aha! Thanks. I'll try it!

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" wrote in
message ...
Hi Joe:

OK, I know the problem. Word will accept only two decimals and if you
work
in "inches" that's a fairly big number :-)

Try again specifying your measurement in "millimetres" or "points". You
will still get only two decimals, but this time, the measurements will be
accurate within a twentieth of a point.

For example: 0.645 inches is 46.44 points or 16.38 mm.

Cheers

On 30/3/06 4:47 PM, in article , "Joe
McGuire" wrote:

Is there a way to get Word to actually match up exactly with the various
labels? It seems that every label I try in Envelopes & labels (Word 2003
but I had the same problem in earlier versions) gets progressively
further
"off" the further down the label page I go. For 8.5 x 11 sheets with,
say,
80 return address labels (20 rows of 0.5" labels), a text entry is well
positioned in the first row but runs off the label by the 20th! At the
moment I am using a small file label (Avery 5202)(7 file labels, page
size
is 4 x 6), and I am even using an Avery template (there is no such label
size in Word). The problem is that the template gives the label size
(height) as 0.67 inches whereas the true size is more like 0.645. But
Word
does not seem to let me set a label measurement to 3 decimal places. The
margin of error between 0.64 (a little too small) and 0.65 (a shade
oversize) is slight with only 7 rows and I can live with it. But the
difference gets magnified with a larger sheet and small labels. Am I
doing
something wrong? Did I miss something in Word 101? I doubt that it is a
printer problem. I had this trouble with my old one and our various
laser
printers in the office do exactly the same..

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410