Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Word document

There are basically two choices that accomplish (more or less) the same
thing:

1. If the recipient is superior to (of higher status than) the sender, the
recipient can demand that the sender save the document in Word 97-2003
format.

2. If the recipient is inferior to (of lower status than) the sender, then
he should download the Compatibility Pack so he can open the document in its
native format (more or less).

Option #2 is actually better in both instances because the user will
probably increasingly encounter .docx files and won't always be able to
request that they be downsaved, and it will always be quicker and more
efficient just to open them. In addition, by downloading the compatibility
pack, the user also gets all the new fonts used in Word 2007.

In either case, the recipient will not receive exactly what the sender
created if the sender has used some of the features that are new in Word
2007 and not backwards-compatible, such as the new types of art.

"Three Lefts" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:34:52 +0300, "Graham Mayor"
wrote:

Clearly you haven't read the question or the answer. The issue is not
whether Word 2007 can produce Word 97-2003 format documents, but whether
Word 2003 can use Word 2007 format documents.

I did read the question, but I clearly did not read your response
carefully enough. My apologies.

I think what threw me was (a) your statement that the OP would not be
able to make use of some 2007-specific features (which was not what he
asked for) and then your directive that he tell the sender to resend
it after saving it in the 97-2003 format.

If he had the conversion program, why would he need the sender to
resave and resend? He could do that for himself, no?

Or, does the conversion program do something different than what Word
2007 does when it saves a document in the old format? If that's thru,
they I reinstate my complaint.