Posted to microsoft.public.office.templates.misc,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Applying a template -- Word 2007

Be assured you are not alone in finding Word 2007 difficult to navigate. The
general impression from the outset was that it would make "advanced"
features more "discoverable" for the average (and especially beginning) user
but that it would be a general pain for power users who knew where
everything was on every menu. That has proved true to some extent, with the
added downside that average/beginning users are lured into using features
they don't know how to use. Yes, it's very easy to add a cover sheet,
header, TOC, or watermark, but when you change your mind, trying to remove
or modify it is not so easy. And some features are much more complicated
even for power users, who have to figure out how to do things "manually"
instead of using the glitzy shortcuts (how to insert a simple page number,
for example, that won't erase an existing header).

http://word.mvps.org

"bjm" wrote in message
Well, I don't know how it got checked on my setup, but it is. I wouldn't
have considered myself a "developer" or that making a simple template was
"authoring", let alone that merely wanting to *apply* a template came
under
such advance use!
(I don't do macros, never having had any success with even modest efforts,
&
I don't know what xml means)

MS has some strange ideas.
And/or I'm just strange myself.

But no wonder I do so many things by the "brute force" method -- the
so-called easy way is way too hard to even find! (and "help" doesn't.)

The Really Funny Thing is that until v. 2007 I managed to figure out just
about everything I actually needed to *do* & get it done without tearing
out my hair. V. 2007 has been brilliantly constructed to drive me (& I
suspect not *just* me) nutz.
Thanks again for your help.
bj

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The Developer tab is not displayed by default (there's a check box at
Word
Options | Popular to display it), and its contents are, by and large,
considered tools not used by casual end users.

http://word.mvps.org