Stuart

Many thanks
I think a 'collective' way forward has been developed.

Thanks to all.
Regards.

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
Stuart

Just add to what the other suggest: I keep the templates in a workgroup
folder on the server and find that simply making them read only (not the
folder, just the templates) is sufficient to the templates 'safe'. I
suppose
someone with malicious intents could go and mess up a template - but then
with all the server logging and metadata hidden in Word, they may as well
just place their resignation on the Boss's desk - at least they'll get a
month's notice that way!

I haven't found it greatly inconvenient not being able to update templates
until all users are logged off: I usually keep a copy of the templates,
edit
those copies and then (usually) early next day, I archive the active
template and load the newly edited version.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Stuart" wrote in message
: Many thanks again,
:
: An update when all users offline would be via a suitably timed batch
file,
: think.
: The laptop user does exist (very good point .......hadn't got that far
yet;
: but even if not, as ever the planning is everything). Initial thought is
an
: On Open check for a file with a newer date stamp, or something similar.
:
: If I go the VBA route then I'll post in the appropriate group from now
on,
: else
:
: very many thanks.