Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Word 2003 Pagination

Do you have a whole bunch of section breaks? Sounds like it. Only you can
decide whether you really need them (if they document was converted from
WordPerfect, you'll have a slew of unnecessary ones). If you really do, then
you will have to use the Show Next button on the Header and Footer toolbar
to skip to the next section, click on the Same as Previous (or Link to
Previous) button to link that footer to the previous one, which should give
you the page number. Repeat as needed for the remaining sections.

"Bob S" wrote in message
Thank you Suzanne,
I have gone through and deleted all 132 page number frames. And I have the
Header and Footer toolbar onscreen. When I click Insert Page Number, I
see a page number inserted into the footer, left justified. If I want it
to be centered I can press ^E and it will move over. However, I do not
see any page numbers in any of the other footers in the document. How can
I get page numbers throughout the document (and preferably have them
centered)? Thank you again in advance.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
When you use the Insert | Page Numbers command, the page number is
inserted in a frame. Every time you use this command, another frame is
inserted. Which is why using the Insert Page Number command on the Header
and Footer toolbar is recommended. I'm afraid you'll have to go through
the footers one by one and delete the frames one by one. For more on
this, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm

"Bob S" wrote in message
Thank you Suzanne. That helped a lot. With that instruction I was able
to add a page number to the footer and to put it nice an low on the
page. However, there still exists another page number about an inch
higher. If I double click this other page number and then click it once
more, it appears to be in a text box (about 6 inches across) in the
lower part of each page. If I click the gray box around the page number
the black boxes used to size it appear. If I then press delete, the box
and the number disappear. Is there a way to get all of these boxes to
disappear at once, so that only the page numbers that I put low in the
footer (like you instructed me) remain?
Thanks again.
Bob

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Reduce the footer margin to something less than the bottom margin.

"Bob S" wrote in message
I am sorry. I gave the wrong impression. I meant that on a number of
pages, there area several sentances which I need to keep found below
the page numbers.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Delete the empty paragraphs below the page numbers.

"Bob S" wrote in message
I have a Word document given to me which has the page numbers too
high on the page. In fact in some cases there are actually some
lines below the page numbers. The page numbers are in the middle at
the bottom of the page. Can someone tell me how to move the page
numbers down as low as possible on the page? Thank you in advance.
Bob