Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
charles thiesen charles thiesen is offline

Default Page numbering problem (Word 2000)

In a long (140 p) and conplex document I've numbered pages in the footers
according to chapters: 2-1, 2-1, etc. In the later sections of the document
this isn't working correctly. With appropriate breaks and chapter headings
that worked for most of the document, the first page in a new chapter's
footer gives the continuing page number for the previous chapter. Pages
will go 15-12, 15-13, 16-14, 16-2.

I'm pretty sure I've done all the selections correctly. Anyone ever
experience this? Is there a fix? Does Word 2003 do any better?

(The workaround of manually numbering the pages creates problems in the
TOC, Index, and cross references.)

Thanks for any help,
- charles