Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nancy Nancy is offline

Default Mail merge & Fill In blanks

Thank you. In other words, I would have to be able to enter vba code into the
Excel sheet which is my data source? Is there somewhere you can direct me to
for more information on this? Thank you very much!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Mail merge and formfields are not compatible and it is also not possible to
mailmerge into a protected document.

The alternative is to create a "roll-your-own" equivalent to mailmerge that
uses a template containing document variable fields, and in your case Text
FormFields in place of merge fields and have vba code iterate through the
data source, creating a new document from the template for each record and
setting the values of variables in the document to the corresponding values
from the data source, and in the case of those data items that may be blank
and that you would want someone to later fill in, having the code set the
..Result property of the formfield that you would have in the template for
such items.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Nancy" wrote in message
I have XP Pro with Word. I need to create a form that will draw the data
from
an excel sheet. But if the cell in the data is empty, after the merge I
will
need a salesman to fill it in. If I do a form and a merge, the form
fields
disappear on the merged docs. Also, I would like my form to be protected
except for the necessary fields. Any ideas? I have been working on it all
week!