View Single Post
  #34   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm.blgr7 View Post
Word Hater,
There are several things you could try.
* Several settings in Word Options could be changed such as pasting options (I use "Match destination formatting") under the Advanced tab.
*Adjust settings using the Settings button in the Cut, copy, and paste section (in the Advanced tab). Try unchecking the "Smart style behavior" checkbox.
* When you want to continue a numbering scheme there must be a hard return after the previous line. Try going to the end of the last correctly numbered line, delete everything up to the next line and then hit Return.
* If you want to change how numbers or bullets are formatted versus using the default in Word, you'll need to define a new bullet or numbering scheme for that document.
* Try working in Outline view and adjust the indents that way.

I hope that helps but you might find that taking a class would save so much time and headache.
I see this guy has been (understandably) thrown under the bus for having a scandalous post title and name, but is he wrong?

I have been writing documents for 15 years. I used to use QuarkXPress, and had virtually unlimited control over my documents. In 2002, I was forced to learn word. Since then, it feels like few years I come up against this very same problem in Word: multi-level lists and styles (whatever you want to call it) simply do not work, well, at all.

I've done the research, read Shauna Kelley's blog, and others, for like the 3rd time, at the 3rd company. I created styles based on no styles. I defined a custom multi-level list. Then I went to modify the font, or whatever, in one of my styles, and poof! I've wasted the better part of a day going back and forth between my heading style and my multi-level list style.

Every time I go back into my custom heading one style, it's indent has been magically changed from (no style) to hanging .75"s

Likewise, if I touch the heading style, then look at my multi-level list style, all of the lists have been magically disconnected from the heading styles I've painstakingly connected them to.

What is frustrating is to be somewhat of a (non-MVP) expert, do the research, be careful, and conscientious, and still have these problems. And when I research these problems, it appears they've existed since before 2007.

How hard can this be for word to get right?

All I want to do is create a requirements document with 1 to 1.1.1.1.etc numbering, and control precisely how the text lines up. I use non-numbered text (separate style) below my numbered text, and I like to left align these as well.