Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default If a field is blank, close the empty space

Use a conditional field to place the initial and its associated space eg

{Mergefield Firstname} {IF {Mergefield Initial} "" "{Mergefield Initial}
"}{Mergefield LastName}

You will have to insert this by hand using CTRL+F9 for each pair of field
brackets {} and ensure that the fieldnames match the names in your data.

Joanne wrote:
Hello,
We are using Word 2003 and have a simple merge to do with a form
letter. We are addressing the letters to FirstName Middle Initial
LastName but if there is no middle initial we just want the first
name and the last name. What's happening is that we're getting two
spaces after the first name. Is there a way we can close this up?
Thanks in advance for your help.