Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Default Protect areas of a document while leaving other areas unprotected. Word 2002 XP

Insert section breaks around the areas you want to lock, then use Tools
Protect document and select protect for forms, but exclude the sections in
which you want to permit user entry. This protects the headers and footers
also. If it's just the headers and footers you want to protect, insert a
continuous section break at the top of page one, and lock section one only.
(The fact that there are no formfields in the protected sections doesn't
matter.) And yes, this has been possible for a long time.

Whether it's worth doing is another matter: experienced users will defeat
your controls on principle, because they can; and novices will complain that
their copy of Word is no longer working properly. Why would your people muck
around with the logo or change the address anyway? -- don't they have enough
work to do?

"jereviscious" wrote in message
Hi all

I'd like my users to have a company letterhead that they can type free
form text, change fonts, spellcheck (all the normal functions) WITHOUT
changing the company logo at the top of the first page *or* the footer
information which contains the address, web site etc..

I'd also like to do this without having to use scripts or macros.

Is this possible? I have a user in my office which insists that it is and
that it has been possible for a long time ( I think he's full of it
frankly).