Ron Patterson

Oh my. Where has this information been all my life. I have confronted
these 'auto backup' issues forever. At last the truth be told about this
'feature'(?) and the other mis-named 'features'. (Like I thought
'auto-save'
was really saving my work as I went along. Duh!)

I guess to really make a current backup of a new doc, I have to save, close,
and reopen the .doc file and make a subtle change and then save it? The
backup copy will not
be created until the original is changed and saved? You can create and save
a new doc over and over and no backup file is created unless you make a
change to the original? Is this the drill?

Thank you so much Suzanne.
Ron

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm

so
all may benefit.

"Ron Patterson" wrote in message
ink.net...
Thanks Terry, John, and Doug

I hear what you are saying, but I can't believe it. This is nuts.
Why would I want a backup of an older version of a file. It only makes
sense
to backup the current version. I guess I can do this by saving the file,
closing it, and reopening and saving it again. Duh !!
Ron

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
That's how it works. Crap, isn't it? It really isn't a backup as such:
Word
just retains the previous version as a 'backup'. If the current version
crashes out before being saved, you can only go back to the version

saved
prior to the current editing session. So back up frequently (or get
Windows
2003 server)!

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Ron Patterson" wrote in message
ink.net...
: Thanks Doug,
:
: Yes, I am looking for a .wbk file.
: However, I have found out more info.
:
: The program is acting really strange.
: If I start a new document and save it, no backup is made.
: If I then close, and reopen the doc and save it a backup is made.
:
: If I open and change the doc and save it, the backup will not update
until
: close it, and reopen it and save it. Then the backup will show the
previous
: changes to the doc.
: Ergo, the backup only seems to work correctly once I save and close a
doc
: and then reopen and resave it.
:
: Any thoughts?
: Ron
: "Doug Robbins" wrote in message
: ...
: It will be saved with a filename
:
: Backup of [filename].wbk
:
: Is that the type of file you are looking for?
:
: --
: Hope this helps.
:
: Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of

my
: services on a paid consulting basis.
:
: Doug Robbins - Word MVP
: "Ron Patterson" wrote in message
: ink.net...
: Word 2002
: When I create a new document and save it (often several times)
Word
: will not create a backup. And yes, when I go to Save As - Tools -
Save
: Options, "Always Create Backup" is always checked, but no backup
is
: created.
: Thanks
: Ron