While it is true that this doesn't work if you insert a footnote in a
single-column section *before* the multi-column section, it will work if you
insert it in a single-column section *following* the multi-column section.
I'll grant you this is not a very helpful workaround for pages with many
footnotes. The developers are focusing on long-document issues for the next
version of Word; I'll be sure they are aware of this one.

"HansJ" wrote in message
By the way: Your method does not work in Word 2003. If there is one

section
with one column followed by one with two on the same page, trying to

insert a
footnote in the first section will produce a page break.

Is there any way to contact Microsoft to let them know that footnotes
spanning two columns would be a nice feature in future versions of Word?

Best wishes,
HansJ