Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default strange hyphenation

Have you tested this, Graham? I just took Tony Jollans' word for it that
that wouldn't work--that a character style would be required. I did wonder
about the lc, but I guess as long as you're AutoCorrecting, you might as
well save yourself the extra effort of capitalizing as well.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Autocorrect would have been my suggestion also, but you don't really need
either a character style (though it is more elegant) or a lower case
christ as the trigger word. If you can normally remember to use the shift
key then use Christ as the trigger word and simply apply the no proofing
language option to the word before selecting it as the formatted autotext
replacement.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Okay, I'm back with (mostly) good news. It turns out that the first
MVP who tried this couldn't reproduce it because the error does not
occur in English (UK), only in English (US). I've now had reports
from several other MVPs who *can* reproduce it, and they've come up
with some workarounds that may help:
1. The first line of attack is to format "Christ" as "Do not check
spelling or grammar." This will prevent it from being hyphenated.

2. There are several ways to do this. The most direct, of course, is
just to select the word, go to Review | Proofing | Set Language, and
check the box for "Do not check spelling or grammar." Needless to
say, this would be ridiculously cumbersome.

3. One alternative possibility would be to use Find and Replace, upon
completion of a document, to search for "Christ" and apply the "Do not
check..." formatting. Still less than satisfactory.

4. You can define a character style as "Default Paragraph Font + Do
not check spelling or grammar" and apply it to every instance of
"Christ." If you assign a keyboard shortcut to the style, you can
apply it fairly quickly, but this is still less than optimal.

5. Now, however, the pièce de résistance, a way to completely
automate the process:

a. Define the "No Proofing" character style and apply it to
"Christ."
b. Select "Christ" and go to Office Button | Word Options |
Proofing | AutoCorrect Options. "Christ" should already be in the
"With" box.
c. Select the radio button for "Formatted text."

d. In the replace box, type "christ" (lowercase).

e. Click OK.

Now whenever you type "christ," you'll get "Christ," formatted with
the No Proofing style, and it will not be hyphenated regardless of
where it occurs.

"RCUSWALK" wrote in message
I am having a rather strange problem with Word 2007. When the word
"Christ" comes at the end of a line, Word hyphenates it as "Chr-" on
one line and "ist" on the next. This makes no sense since
monosyllabic words are never hyphenated.

I've tried disabling the spelling, etc., that was recommended for
others, but it has no effect. Word does this in every document and
with any/every font. The only thing that works is to disable
hyphenation for the entire document, which is not really an option
for me. I have not found Word to hyphen any other single syllable words
in
this way.
Being a minister and seminary professor, the name of my Savior comes
at the
end of a lot of lines. Does anyone know how to fix this?