Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Default Huge document mystery

Therse are "some" of the things that can cause a bloated file:

1) Fast Saves (Tools/Options/Save)
2) Preview Picture (File/Properties)
3) Versions (File/Versions) Make sure "Automatically save version on
close" is not turned on
4) Revisions (Tools/Track Changes)
Highlight Changes: Make sure "Highlight changes on screen is
turned on"
Accept/Reject Changes: If "Accept All" or "Reject All" is
available then revisions are present.
5) Embedded True Type fonts (Tools/Options/Save)"

Address any that may pertain to the file in question & it should reduce the
file size.

You might also try copying all but the *last ¶* & pasting into a new blank
doc.

If you're really desperate (with time on your hands) you can copy/paste half
the doc at a time into new files & keep cutting in half until you isolate
the cause.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Paul MR" wrote in message
Word 2000. I have a document that is all text as far as I know -- no
fancy formatting or pictures for sure. It is almost four single-spaced
pages, but its size is 9420KB! I scanned the document for viruses;
nothing. I selected the entire text and pasted it into a blank document,
but the new document is also 9416KB. What can I do to locate and
eliminate whatever is making this document so big? Possible clue: most of
the document was typed but on a couple of paragraphs I was testing the
speech recognition.
Paul in San Francisco