Klaus Linke

"34front" wrote:
Word will not accept font changes - no matter which font is chosen, =

only=20
rectangles appear. I'm stuck with font Super French, and I can bold =

it or=20
change the size and changes made earlier today show as letters, but I =

really=20
would like to see the rest of the letters. Any ideas why this has =

happened?

Another possibility: SuperFrench might be an old decorative font, and =
Word uses different codes for the characters.

To test that theory, you can ...
-- open the VBA editor (F11),=20
-- go to the immediate window (Ctrl+G),=20
-- type or paste the line
? Hex(AscW(Selection.Text))
-- and hit the Enter key at the end of the line.
If you get something starting with F0, you have a symbol (=3Ddecorative) =
font.

You might try if the macro below fixes the text. Make a backup first!
The macro isn't too fast ... I have one that's faster but can't locate =
it right now. If your document isn't terribly large, it should work well =
enough.=20
If the macro runs endlessly without any apparent effect, use Ctrl+Pause =
to stop it, and change the style(s) you use to "Arial" before starting =
the macro again.

Sub FixSymbolFont()
' Make sure the symbol font isn't used in your style definition(s)
Dim myChar As Range
For Each myChar In ActiveDocument.Characters
Select Case AscW(myChar)
Case &HF000 To &HF0FF
' if the symbol font isn't in your style definition, you can use =
the
' following line to set the font to that defined in the style.
myChar.Font.Name =3D myChar.Style.Font.Name
myChar.Text =3D ChrW(AscW(myChar) - &HF000)
End Select
Next myChar
End Sub

Regards,