Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Brian Smith Brian Smith is offline

Default software bug in Word Table

"NCC" wrote in message
I have reported this before but nobody seems to get what I mean:

How to replicate the errors:

- Create an empty table of 3 rows and 3 columns
- Merge Cell A3 and B3 together
- On cell B2, put a figure of "3"
- On cell C2, put a figure of "10.50"
- On cell B3, place a formula of "=sum(above)"

You will get 13.50 (which is 3 + 10.50), instead of 10.50 (which is the
correct answer).

This error will result if you only sum on one row.

The error will go away if you are summing on more than one row.

Try this:

- On the second row, add a new row below, so that the new row will appear
between the existing row 2 and 3
- On the new row second column, put a figure of "5"
- On the new row third column, put a figure of "25.30"
- Now update the formula

You will get 25.30 + 10.50 = 34.80. The desired answer.

I just tried this in Word 2003 and get the same results you do except in the
second case where the answer is 35.8 (assume you made a typo). Now to find
out why this is happening.

Brian