Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default How to I print only non-blank fields in Mail Merge?

I assume that you have the mergefields inserted something like:

Name
Organization
Address
City Province Postal Code

Insert additional mergefields so that you have

Name
OrganizationOrganizationAddressAddre ss
City Province Postal Code

If you press Alt+F9 to toggle on the field codes and click on the Show/Hide
(¶) button to show formatting marks, you will see

{ MERGEFIELD "Name" }¶
{ MERGEFIELD "Organization" }{ MERGEFIELD "Organization" }{ MERGEFIELD
"Address }{ MERGEFIELD "Address }¶
{ MERGEFIELD "City" } { MERGEFIELD "Province" } { MERGEFIELD "Postal Code" )

Select the second line and press Ctrl+F9 and then you will see:

{ MERGEFIELD "Name" }¶
{ { MERGEFIELD "Organization" }{ MERGEFIELD "Organization" }{ MERGEFIELD
"Address }{ MERGEFIELD "Address } }¶
{ MERGEFIELD "City" } { MERGEFIELD "Province" } { MERGEFIELD "Postal Code" )

Now, modify that so that it looks as follows, pressing the Enter key where
the ¶ appears after { MERGEFIELD "Organization" }

{ MERGEFIELD "Name" }¶
{ IF { MERGEFIELD "Organization" } "" "{ MERGEFIELD "Organization" }¶

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"sandra" wrote in message
Hi! I'm using Office 2007 and I *think* this thread is what I'm trying to
do
but I'm not quite sure.

I have an Excel spreadsheet with Name, Organization, Address, City,
Province, Postal Code and I'm trying to make labels from it. However, some
rows do not have anything in the Organization field so when I go to make a
label, I've been having to manually edit the labels to remove that blank
space.

In Office 2000, I seem to recall that there was just a check box where the
blank field would be ignored and it all worked out fine but I'm under the
impression that Office 2007 isn't so simple that way. If the procedure
below
is what I need, can someone point me to a more detailed, simple
instructions
since I'm not understanding what I'm copying and where I'm CTRL-F9ing....?
:-)

Thanks in advance!

sandra

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Kathleen,

If you're wanting to skip the whole record when the specified field is
empty, the approach suggested by Doug will work.

However, if you're just trying to hide the space taken up by an empty
field when it's positioned between two others, you can use an
IF test coded along the lines of:

Empty Space Suppression-
.. duplicate the mailmerge field to be suppressed (eg «MyData») so that
.. select both fields and Press Ctrl-F9 to enclose them in a new field,
.. fill in around the new field braces so that you end up with:
.. delete the space after the field.

Empty Line Suppression-
.. duplicate the mailmerge field to be suppressed (eg «MyData») so that
.. select both fields and Press Ctrl-F9 to enclose them in a new field,
.. fill in between the braces so that you end up with {IF«myData»= "" ""
"«MyData»¶
"}, where the '¶' is a paragraph mark or line-feed, depending on which
you're using;
. delete the existing paragraph mark or line-feed after the field.

When you're done with the above:
.. position the cursor anywhere in this field and press F9 to update it;
.. run your mailmerge.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Kathleen" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003. I have my merged document and data fields. Some
data
fields are empty and I do not wish to print those records when the
fields are
empty. How can I do that?