Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] ent@ent.ent is offline

Default comparing two documents in a quantifiable way

Yves Dhondt wrote:
How would you describe the change of words?

"I'm considered a good cook."
vs
"I want to cook something good."

'good' and 'cook' appear in both sentences, yet their meaning is totally
different ('cook' appears as a noun and as a verb for example).

If you consider those words the same in the above sentences, you could
write a macro which just keeps track of each word in your document and
the number of times it occurs. Given that list, you could then count the
number of times each word occurs in the other document and see how much
change there is. But if you ask me, the resulting value wouldn't be
expressing anything useful.

Yves

I agree with you, but in my case semantics is not a concern.

I have a very simple need.

I am dealing with very formalised and repetitive documents and all I
need is just something that does this:

Given the capability that Word 2007 already has, of comparing two
documents an show what lines/words are different in the two docs, I need
to simply be able to *count* how many words are different in the second
documents.

Can I do that, perhaps selecting somehow the "different" word in the
second doc and the counting them?

How can I select or capture the words that are different?

thanks