Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Default protecting a merge document

Hi ?B?UGFya2F0ZWVy?=,

I have a couple of generic letters that I send out. Recently other coworkers
have also been sending out the letters but they tend to mess up the document
by adding in extra spaces or hitting "enter" which adds extra lines. Is there
a way to lock (like in Excel) the text of the letter but still alow access to
the merge contents so my fellow coworkers can use the document and I do not
have to worry that they will ruin the letter?

Not really, no. Any document protection of that nature is not compatible with
mail merge.

I suggest saving the document as a template. Place it in the "Workgroup
templates" location on your network. Then everyone can use File/New to access
it. This will create a COPY of the template, as a normal Word document; the
template will always remain in its original state.

(The Workgroup Templates location can be found/set in Tools/Options/File
locations)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org