Klaus Linke

"Phippsy" wrote:
If I change the sort options in a single field to be separated by anything
such as a full stop or space and then go to sort that field I only get the
option of
using paragraphs and could not sort by the second field first.

In other words if I have a first name and second name in one column. I
cannot sort by second name. I can only sort by the first field first.

eg
Fred Bloggs
Jo Smith
Thanks

Hi Phippsy,

Sort once using paragraphs. That allows Word to analyze the table, and you
should get "Word 1, Word2" as sorting options for another sort. Since that's
quick, I usually do it that way.

BTW, in Word2003 if I open the Options and explicitly enter a space in
"Delimiter Other:", back in the sorting dialog I get the option to sort by
word. Maybe it's something that was fixed in newer versions? Or maybe it
only works if the table is not too complex...
But the first method has always worked for me.

Regards,
Klaus