TF

Charles

Using a different font to create a stylish letterhead is a very acceptable
practise. In our business documentation, we use a different font for the
Front Page! Many of the publications that I have read on typographical
design suggest a serif font for body text and a sans serifed font for
titles. Generally, this does seem a good combination if the fonts are chosen
correctly. With a few exception, sans serif fonts scale up in size far
better than a serif font.

Terry

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
:I believe that serif fonts are supposed to be easier to read in body text.
:
: I print my documents and want them to look a bit different, so I do use
: other fonts, especially in my letterhead.
: --
: Charles Kenyon
:
: Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word
:
: Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
: Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide
:
: See also the MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word which is awesome!
: --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
: This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
: and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
: from my ignorance and your wisdom.
:
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
: Klaus
:
: Well there are font snobs around!
:
: I read an article in The Times a few weeks back: the bigot (I mean
: journalist) thought Arial was a boring font only used by boring people
and
: that anyway using Comic Sans was a moron (or similar words).
:
: Well our company uses Arial for all its technical documents: why would
: anyone object to being presented a technical document in Arial? It is
the
: content that is important; the reader shouldn't be distracted from the
: content by using a stylistic layout with a fancy font. Arial is easy to
: read
: and doesn't distract from the content. One of the reasons he cited it as
: being boring is because every Tom, Dick and Harry has it on their
: computer:
: technically that's a huge advantage. What a tosser!
:
: To add insult to injury I took his attack on Comic Sans personally. I
use
: Comic Sans for my personal emails: its an informal and easy to read
: font
: suited to personal use. I wouldn't write a business email or technical
: document in that font. The journalist needs a good kicking!
:
: Terry Farrell
:
:
: "Klaus Linke" wrote in message
: ...
: You can sometimes avoid the problem if you use a font for the headings
: that
: looks bold (such as "Arial Black").
: Last time I said that I got flamed from here to hell because somebody
: thought "Arial Black" was an ugly font for headings, but you may have
: other
: fonts installed that work... "Arial Black" just happens to be available
on
: most Word installations.
:
: Regards,
: Klaus
:
:
: "Shauna Kelly" wrote:
: Hi Andy
:
: it's like the 2 bolds cancel each other out;
:
: Exactly. So, define your "emphasised" character style as italic, not
bold
: italic.
:
: If this seems either frustrating or counter-intuitive, consider that
: applying styles is giving Word an instruction. You can see the
: definitions
: of styles in the Styles and Formatting pane, by hovering over the name
of
: the style. And you can see that it is expressed as an instruction. So
: your
: style1 might be "Normal + Arial + Bold + 16pt", or some such.
:
: A character style is always applied on top of a paragraph style. All
: character styles are defined as something like "Default Paragraph Font
+
: Bold + Red". That means "The font of the underlying paragraph format +
: Bold
: + Red".
:
: So if style "emphasised" is "Default Paragraph Format + Italic", and
you
: apply it to some text in paragraph style1, you'll get "Normal + Arial +
: Bold
: + 16pt + Italic".
:
: And you're right: the on/off properties like bold, italic, underlined
etc
: act as toggles. So "Normal + Arial + Bold + Bold" displays as un-bold.
:
: Hope this helps.
:
: Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
: http://www.shaunakelly.com/word
:
:
: "Andy Fish" wrote in message
: ...
: Thanks for the response Terry. The problem is that I don't see how I
: can
: avoid direct formatting.
:
: e.g. say I have paragraph styles called style1 and style2 where
style2
: includes bold.
:
: now say I have a character style called "emphasised" which is bold,
: italic, underlined
:
: If I take a paragraph in style2 and then apply the emphasised style
: a
: word within it, the word ends up not bold, so it's like the 2 bolds
: cancel
: each other out; this is the behaviour I'm trying to avoid.
:
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
: Andy
:
: The answer is that you should avoid using direct formatting
otherwise
: conflicts with toggled emphasis such as bold, underline and italics
: will
: happen. You can remove the direct character formatting by using
: Ctl+Spacebar
: to reset a character of Ctrl+Q to reset a paragraph. Then apply the
: new
: style to the characters or paragraph.
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "Andy Fish" wrote in message
: ...
: : Hi all,
: :
: : Say I have a character style that is something like "font: arial 8
: pt
: bold".
: : If I apply it to a word in paragraph where the paragraph style
: already
: : includes bold, the text becomes not bold, i.e. it seems to toggle
: it.
: :
: : Is there anyway to set up my character style so that it means "not
: bold"
: : rather than "toggle boldness"
: :
: : TIA