Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default Hiding text in a Table of Figures

You'll need to insert TC fields that include the exact text you want in the
list of tables, such as { TC "Table 1 Relative organ weights birds fed the
experimental diets" \f t }. Include the \f t switch in each entry.

Then insert a TOC field that includes table entry fields but not styles or
outline levels and has the same table identifier: { TOC \f t }.

If you use the Insert | Reference | Index and Tables dialog to insert the
TOC field instead of inserting it manually, the easiest way to do this is to
choose the Table of Figures tab, click the Options button, check the box for
"Table entry fields," and select T as the identifier

http://word.mvps.org

"Shubiao" wrote in message
I have been trying to learn TC field but am still having trouble to solve
my
problems. The situation is: I have many tables in my report, and need to
make
a "list of tables". The trouble is that in the captions or titles of my
tables, there are some descriptive or explanatory words I want to omit in
the
"list of table". However, the words to be omitted may be in different
places
of the captions. To illustrate I put some examples here (please notice the
text in {}. I use {} to indicate the text to be removed in the List of
Tables):

Table 1 Relative organ weights {(g/ 100 g body weight)} birds fed the
experimental diets.

Table 2 Microbiological counts {(log10 CFU/g digesta)} in intestinal
content
on d 21 of experiment{1}

Table 3 One-way ANOSIM of ileal and caecal microbial communities
associated
with dietary treatments. {The Global R statistic (bold) and significance
level (italics) are shown for comparisons with the control diet containing
no
hardwood sawdust.}

I want to them to be listed as follow in the "list of tables" (the text in
the bracket {} above is omitted).

Table 1 Relative organ weights birds fed the experimental diets.

Table 2 Microbiological counts in intestinal content on d 21 of experiment

Table 3 One-way ANOSIM of ileal and caecal microbial communities
associated
with dietary treatments

I am grateful if you could help on a step-by-step procedure to solve the
problem (using TC field is OK). I am desperate to get this done as my due
date is approaching very close!

Shubiao

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

For what you want, I don't see any alternative to using TC fields; you
don't
have to use the StyleRef trick, but it does streamline the process. When
you
have inserted the TC fields, you then insert a TOF, checking the box for
"Table entry fields" and clearing the box for "Styles." If you've used TC
fields for anything other than figure captions, then you're going to need
include a table identifier as well (this will be included in both the TC
field and the TOC field that generates the TOF).

http://word.mvps.org

"Shubiao" wrote in message
Thanks, Stefan.

Would you have a simpler way to do it? I am struggling to follow the TC
field stuff as I haven't learnt how to use it.

In different captions of my figures (or tables), there will be
different
sections of words I want to omit in the Table of Figures (in my case, I
call
it List of Tables in my report). So, I feel it's different from Author,
Title, and Subtitles.

Can I still use styles to build the Table of Figures in this case?

I am gratful for your help.

Shubiao

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm. In particular,
read
the
"Customizing table of contents entries" section.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Shubiao" wrote in message
But how can I hide middle part of the caption in the Table of
Figures.
For
example:

Figure 1.2: Distance-Time Plot [Jan 17] and More.

I want show:

Figure 1.2: Distance-Time Plot and More.

In the above, [Jan 17] is removed.

Can I do this? Please help.

Many thanks.

Wu

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/RunInSidehead.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"Andrew" wrote in message
Hi there,

I'm wondering how to only display certain parts of a caption's
text
in
the
Table of Figures.

For example, in the text the caption might read:

"Figure 1.2: Distance-Time Plot [Jan 17]"

However, in the Table of Figures I do not want the part in the
square
brackets to appear (Jan 17)

I want the Table of Figures to look like:

"Figure 1.2: Distance-Time Plot................15"

Is there a good way to do this? One possibility is to just delete
the
[Jan
17] off the Table of Figures once I know that I'm not going to
update
it
anymore, but this doesn't seem like the most elegant solution.

Thanks very much,

Andrew