Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default Table displayed differently in web and print layouts

Hello,

I have an html document consisting of a simple table. If I copy or
insert it into a word document it is rendered slightly differently than
I expect.

Specifically, if I have a cell with a fixed width (in the html) that
contains enough text to just fill the cell I get a cell with a single
line of text in the browser/"web layout" in word. I am specifying a
particular font and size in the html document.

However, in the "print layout", print preview, and actual printed
documents (from word or the browser, I get a cell with some text
wrapped onto a second line changing the height of the row.

An example HTML doc is included at the bottom of this message. Place it
into a new word document and switch from web layout to print layout to
see the difference.

Can someone explain why this happens? Is there a way to ensure that if
the text does't wrap in the browser/web layout then it won't wrap in
the print layout mode?

Thanks a lot.

html
head
style
..s1 {font-family: Arial;font-face: Arial;font-size: 12pt;width:6in}
..s2 {font-family: Arial;font-face: Arial;font-size: 12pt;width:4in}
..s3 {font-family: Arial;font-face: Arial;font-size: 12pt;width:2in}
/style
/head
table class="s1"
tr class="s1"
td class="s2"
This is how much text it takes to make the line wrap in/td
td class="s3"some more text/td
/tr
/table
/html